Passport & Consular Services

Who Can Apply for the M1 Visa?

The M-1 visa is designed for non-academic or vocational studies in the United States. It allows individuals to pursue vocational or other non-academic programs, such as technical or vocational training. Here are some key points regarding eligibility and who can apply for the M-1 visa:

Vocational or Non-Academic Program: The M-1 visa is for individuals who wish to enroll in a vocational or non-academic program. This can include programs related to technical skills, trades, or fields that do not fall under traditional academic study.

Full-Time Enrollment: M-1 visa applicants must be enrolled in a full-time course of study. The specific definition of full-time may vary depending on the educational institution and program.

Accepted by a SEVP-Certified School: To apply for an M-1 visa, you need to be accepted into a U.S. school that is certified by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP). SEVP-certified schools are authorized to enroll international students.

Financial Resources: Applicants must demonstrate sufficient financial resources to cover tuition fees, living expenses, and any other associated costs for the duration of their program. This is to ensure that the applicant can support themselves financially during their stay in the United States.

Non-Degree Program: The M-1 visa is for non-degree programs. If you are planning to pursue an academic degree program, such as a bachelor’s or master’s degree, the F-1 visa category is generally more appropriate.

As with any visa application, it’s important to consult the U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country or visit the official website of the U.S. Department of State for the most up-to-date and accurate information regarding eligibility requirements, application procedures, and documentation needed for the M-1 visa.

Was this article helpful?