Passport & Consular Services

Which visa is required to work in UK?

To work in the UK, you generally need a valid work visa or permission to work, depending on your citizenship and the nature of the work you intend to do. The most common work visas for the UK are:

Tier 2 (General) Visa: This visa is for skilled workers who have a job offer from a UK employer with a valid sponsorship. It requires a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) from the employer and meets specific eligibility criteria.

Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) Visa: This visa is for employees of multinational companies who are being transferred to a UK branch or subsidiary. It requires a valid job offer and sponsorship from the employer.

Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) Visa: This visa category includes various subcategories, such as the Youth Mobility Scheme, Temporary Worker – Creative and Sporting, and Government Authorized Exchange. Each subcategory has specific eligibility criteria and permits individuals to work in the UK for a limited period.

Skilled Worker Visa (Replacing Tier 2 General from 1 January 2021): This visa is for skilled workers with a job offer from a UK employer who holds a valid sponsor license. It requires meeting specific skill and salary thresholds, and the employer must provide a Certificate of Sponsorship.

Start-up Visa and Innovator Visa: These visas are for individuals who want to establish innovative businesses in the UK. They require endorsement from approved endorsing bodies and meeting specific requirements.

It’s important to note that immigration regulations can change, and it’s always advisable to check the official UK government website or consult with an immigration expert for the most up-to-date and accurate information regarding work visas for the UK.

Was this article helpful?