Passport & Consular Services

What is the M2 Dependents Visa?

The M-2 visa is a nonimmigrant visa category that is designated for the dependents of M-1 visa holders. It allows the eligible dependents to accompany or join the M-1 visa holder in the United States during their vocational or non-academic program.

Here are some key points about the M-2 visa:

Eligible Dependents: The M-2 visa is available for the immediate family members of the M-1 visa holder, including their spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21.

Purpose of the Visa: The primary purpose of the M-2 visa is to enable the dependents to accompany or join the M-1 visa holder in the United States. The M-2 visa holders are not authorized to work or engage in full-time academic studies while in the United States.

Duration of Stay: The M-2 visa holders can generally stay in the United States for the same duration as the M-1 visa holder’s program. However, they are required to maintain their status and depart the country if the M-1 visa holder’s program ends or if the M-1 visa holder loses their status.

Study at Primary or Secondary School: M-2 dependent children can attend primary or secondary school (grades K-12) in the United States. They may need to obtain a student visa (F-1) if they wish to pursue full-time academic studies beyond the K-12 level.

Application Process: To obtain an M-2 visa, the dependent family members must provide the necessary documents, including a valid passport, a copy of the M-1 visa holder’s Form I-20, and proof of the relationship to the M-1 visa holder. The application process typically involves completing the DS-160 form, paying the visa fee, and attending a visa interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate.

It’s important to note that the M-2 visa is dependent on the status of the M-1 visa holder. If the M-1 visa holder violates their status or departs the United States, the M-2 visa holders may also lose their legal status and may be required to depart the country.

For specific guidance and requirements related to the M-2 visa, it is advisable to consult with the official website of the U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country or seek assistance from an immigration attorney.

Was this article helpful?