Passport & Consular Services

What is the cost of USA Study and Exchange Visa?

The cost of a U.S. study and exchange visa, such as an F1 visa or J-1 visa, includes several fees that need to be paid during the application process. The fees may vary depending on the specific visa category and the U.S. embassy or consulate where you apply. Here are some common fees associated with study and exchange visas:

SEVIS Fee: The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) fee is required for most students and exchange visitors. The SEVIS fee for F1 visa applicants is $350, and for J-1 visa applicants, it is $220. The fee must be paid before your visa interview, and you will need the SEVIS fee receipt as proof of payment.

Visa Application Fee: The visa application fee, also known as the MRV fee (Machine Readable Visa fee), is paid for the processing of your visa application. The visa application fee for most nonimmigrant visa categories was $160. However, fees may vary depending on the country and visa category. It’s recommended to check the U.S. embassy or consulate website where you plan to apply for the most up-to-date fee information.

Additional Fees: In some cases, there may be additional fees associated with specific visa services or requirements. For example, if you require expedited visa processing, there may be an additional fee. Additionally, you might need to pay fees for services like visa delivery or optional premium services, which may vary by location.

It’s important to note that these fees are subject to change, and it’s advisable to check the U.S. embassy or consulate website where you plan to apply for the most current fee information. Additionally, fees are generally non-refundable, even if your visa application is denied.

Lastly, it’s worth mentioning that there may be other expenses related to the study or exchange program itself, such as tuition fees, health insurance, textbooks, and living costs. These expenses are separate from the visa fees and should be considered when planning your study or exchange program in the United States.

Was this article helpful?