Passport & Consular Services

What is a Canada Student Visa?

A Canada Student Visa, also known as a Canadian study permit, is an official document issued by the Government of Canada that allows international students to study at designated educational institutions in Canada. It is a temporary resident visa that permits students to stay in Canada for the duration of their studies.

Here are some key points about the Canada Student Visa:

Study permit requirement: Most international students who wish to study at a Canadian educational institution for a program longer than six months are required to obtain a study permit. However, there are a few exceptions, such as short-term courses or programs of study that are completed within six months.

Designated learning institution (DLI): To be eligible for a study permit, you must have an acceptance letter from a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada. DLIs are approved by the provincial or territorial government to host international students. It is important to ensure that the institution you plan to attend is a recognized DLI.

Application process: To apply for a study permit, you will typically need to submit an application to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). The application requires various documents, including an acceptance letter from the DLI, proof of financial support, a valid passport, proof of language proficiency, and any other supporting documents requested by the IRCC.

Temporary resident visa (TRV): In addition to the study permit, some international students may also require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada. The TRV is a separate document that allows entry into Canada and is required for citizens of certain countries. The need for a TRV or eTA depends on your country of citizenship. It’s important to check the visa requirements specific to your country on the official Canadian government website.

Work opportunities: With a valid study permit, international students in Canada are generally allowed to work part-time on or off-campus while studying. There may be restrictions on the number of hours you can work per week. Additionally, after completing their studies, international students may be eligible for a post-graduation work permit, which allows them to work in Canada for a specified period to gain Canadian work experience.

Renewal and extension: If you wish to continue your studies or if your study program extends beyond the validity of your study permit, you will need to apply for an extension. It’s important to apply for an extension before your current study permit expires.

It is crucial to consult the official website of the Government of Canada or contact the nearest Canadian embassy or consulate in your country for the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding the application process, requirements, and any specific rules and regulations related to the Canada Student Visa.

Was this article helpful?