Passport & Consular Services

What are the types of Work Visa in USA?

There are several types of work visas available in the United States, each designed for specific purposes and categories of workers. Here are some of the main types of work visas in the USA:

H-1B Visa: The H-1B visa is for skilled workers in specialty occupations. It is commonly used by professionals in fields such as IT, engineering, science, medicine, and education. The H-1B visa requires a job offer from a U.S. employer and typically a minimum of a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in a specific field.

L-1 Visa: The L-1 visa is for intracompany transferees. It allows multinational companies to transfer employees from their foreign offices to their U.S. offices. The L-1 visa has two subcategories: L-1A for managers and executives, and L-1B for employees with specialized knowledge.

O Visa: The O visa is for individuals with extraordinary ability in sciences, arts, education, business, athletics, or those with extraordinary achievements in the motion picture or television industry. The O visa requires demonstrating sustained national or international acclaim and a job offer or contract in the United States.

TN Visa: The TN visa is available to Canadian and Mexican citizens under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). It is for professionals in specific occupations listed in the agreement, such as engineers, scientists, teachers, and computer systems analysts.

E Visa: The E visa category includes the E-1 Treaty Trader visa and the E-2 Treaty Investor visa. The E-1 visa is for individuals engaged in substantial international trade between their home country and the United States. The E-2 visa is for individuals who invest a substantial amount of capital in a U.S. business.

J-1 Visa: The J-1 visa is for exchange visitors participating in approved programs that promote cultural exchange and international understanding. It includes various categories such as research scholars, professors, au pairs, interns, and trainees.

H-2B Visa: The H-2B visa is for temporary non-agricultural workers who will perform seasonal, peak-load, or one-time occurrence jobs for which there are no sufficient U.S. workers available.

P Visa: The P visa is for athletes, artists, entertainers, and performers coming to the United States for specific events, competitions, or performances.

These are some of the common work visa categories in the United States, but there are other specific categories as well. It’s important to thoroughly research the requirements and guidelines for each visa category and consult with an immigration attorney or the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for accurate and up-to-date information based on your specific circumstances.

Was this article helpful?