Passport & Consular Services

What are the Types of J-1 Visa ?

The J-1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa category that encompasses various exchange visitor programs in the United States. These programs are designed to promote cultural exchange and mutual understanding between the United States and other countries. Here are some common types of J-1 visa programs:

Au Pair: This program allows young individuals to live with a U.S. host family, provide child care, and experience American culture. Participants are required to have a working knowledge of English and typically receive a stipend, room, and board.

Internship: The J-1 internship program offers opportunities for individuals to gain practical experience in their academic field through internships at U.S. companies or organizations. The program must be directly related to the participant’s field of study, and there are specific eligibility requirements and time limits.

Trainee: The J-1 trainee program allows individuals to receive training in their occupational field at U.S. companies or organizations. Participants should have a degree or professional experience in their field and must demonstrate that the training will enhance their skills and knowledge.

Research Scholar: This program is for professors, researchers, or individuals with similar expertise who wish to conduct research, teach, or lecture at educational or research institutions in the United States. Participants should have a research or teaching appointment at a U.S. institution.

Summer Work Travel: The J-1 Summer Work Travel program provides an opportunity for college and university students to work and travel in the United States during their summer vacation. Participants work in seasonal jobs, such as resorts, amusement parks, or summer camps, and experience American culture.

Teacher: The J-1 Teacher program allows foreign teachers to teach in accredited primary and secondary schools in the United States for a limited period. Participants must have the necessary teaching qualifications and demonstrate proficiency in English.

Medical or Clinical Training: The J-1 visa also includes programs for medical graduates and professionals to pursue graduate medical education or training in the United States, such as residency or fellowship programs.

These are just a few examples of the J-1 visa programs available. Each program has specific requirements, regulations, and limitations. The programs are administered by designated sponsors approved by the U.S. Department of State, and participants must be accepted into a program through an authorized sponsor.

Was this article helpful?