Passport & Consular Services

What are the Schengen Visa Types for Short-Term Visits in Europe?

The Schengen Visa types for short-term visits in Europe are as follows:

Uniform Schengen Visa (USV): This is the most common type of Schengen visa and allows for a stay of up to 90 days within a 180-day period in the Schengen Area. It can be issued for various purposes, such as tourism, business, medical treatment, or visiting family or friends.

Schengen Visa for Airport Transit: This visa allows for transit through the international transit areas of Schengen airports without entering the Schengen Area. It is required for travelers who have a connecting flight in a Schengen country before reaching their final destination outside the Schengen Area.

Schengen Visa for Seafarers: This visa is designed for crew members of seagoing vessels who need to enter the Schengen Area for work purposes. It allows for a stay of up to 90 days within a 180-day period.

Schengen Visa for Official Visits: This visa is issued to individuals who are traveling to the Schengen Area on an official visit, such as government officials, diplomats, or members of international organizations.

Schengen Visa for Sports, Cultural, or Religious Events: This visa is granted to participants, performers, or organizers of sports, cultural, or religious events taking place in the Schengen Area.

It’s important to note that the specific purpose of travel and supporting documents required may vary depending on the type of Schengen visa and the country you are applying to. It’s advisable to check the requirements of the specific Schengen country you intend to visit or apply for a visa from to ensure you meet all the necessary criteria.

Was this article helpful?