Passport & Consular Services

What Are the Canada Temporary Work Visas?

Canada offers several temporary work visas that allow individuals from other countries to work in Canada on a temporary basis. Some of the main temporary work visa programs in Canada include:

Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP): This program allows Canadian employers to hire foreign workers to fill temporary labor shortages in specific occupations. The TFWP includes different streams, such as the high-wage stream, low-wage stream, and the Global Talent Stream.

International Mobility Program (IMP): The IMP includes various work permit streams that allow foreign nationals to work in Canada without the need for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). This program covers categories such as intra-company transfers, NAFTA professionals, international agreements, and more.

International Experience Canada (IEC): The IEC program offers work permits to young individuals (18-35 years old, depending on the country) from participating countries to work and travel in Canada. It includes categories such as Working Holiday, Young Professionals, and International Co-op (Internship) programs.

Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program (SAWP): The SAWP allows employers in the Canadian agricultural industry to hire temporary foreign workers for specific seasonal agricultural jobs when there are not enough Canadian workers available. It facilitates the employment of foreign agricultural workers from certain countries with which Canada has bilateral agreements.

Caregiver Program: The Caregiver Program enables Canadian families to hire foreign caregivers to provide in-home care for children, the elderly, or individuals with medical needs. It includes the Home Child Care Provider and Home Support Worker streams.

These are some of the main temporary work visa programs in Canada, but there may be other specialized programs or streams available. Each program has specific requirements and application processes, and it’s important to check the official Canadian government website or consult with a qualified immigration professional for detailed information about the specific program you are interested in.

Was this article helpful?