Passport & Consular Services

How Long Is a Student Visa Valid For in Australia?

The validity of a student visa in Australia depends on the duration of your course of study. In general, student visas are granted for the duration of the course, including any preliminary or bridging courses, as well as a period of time for graduation or completion.

Here are some key points regarding the validity of a student visa:

Course Length: The student visa is typically granted for the duration of your course of study. This includes the duration of the main course as specified in your Confirmation of Enrollment (CoE) and any additional periods, such as foundation or preparatory courses.

Additional Time: In addition to the course duration, student visas usually provide an additional period known as the “completion of course” or “graduation” period. This extra time allows you to wrap up your studies, attend graduation ceremonies, and make necessary arrangements before departing Australia.

Temporary Stay: The student visa allows you to stay in Australia temporarily for the purpose of studying. It does not automatically provide a pathway to permanent residency. However, you may explore other visa options if you wish to extend your stay in Australia after completing your studies.

Work Limitations: While holding a student visa, you are generally allowed to work a specified number of hours per week during the academic term and work full-time during scheduled breaks. The exact work conditions and limitations can vary, so it’s important to review the specific work rights attached to your student visa.

It’s important to note that the exact duration of your student visa will be mentioned in the visa grant notification you receive from the Department of Home Affairs. It’s essential to comply with the conditions of your visa, including maintaining full-time enrollment, meeting academic requirements, and abiding by any work limitations or other visa conditions.

If you wish to extend your stay in Australia beyond the initial student visa, you may explore other visa options such as a Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485), which allows eligible graduates to work in Australia temporarily after completing their studies.

It’s advisable to consult the official website of the Department of Home Affairs or seek advice from a registered migration agent for the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding student visa validity and any potential visa extensions.

Was this article helpful?