Passport & Consular Services

Does the Canada Student Visa Allow you to Visit Your Home Country?

Yes, a Canada student visa, also known as a study permit, allows you to visit your home country or travel outside of Canada during your studies. However, there are a few important considerations to keep in mind:

Valid study permit: Before leaving Canada, ensure that your study permit is valid for re-entry. Check the expiry date of your study permit and make sure it will still be valid when you return to Canada. If your study permit will expire while you are outside Canada, you may need to apply for a new study permit or visa before re-entering.

Travel documents: Ensure that you have all the necessary travel documents, including a valid passport and any additional documents required by your home country or the countries you plan to visit. It’s always a good idea to check the entry requirements of your destination country and plan your travel accordingly.

Full-time student status: While you can travel during your studies, it’s important to maintain your full-time student status as required by your study permit. Ensure that your travel plans do not interfere with your ability to attend classes and fulfill the academic requirements of your program.

Return to Canada: When returning to Canada, you will need to present the necessary documents to the immigration officer, including your valid study permit, passport, and any other supporting documents that may be requested. The immigration officer will determine your eligibility for re-entry into Canada.

It’s important to note that leaving Canada during your studies may have implications for your immigration status and future applications. It’s advisable to consult with the international student services office at your institution or seek guidance from an immigration professional to ensure that you understand the specific requirements and implications related to travel while holding a Canadian study permit.

For the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding travel restrictions and requirements, consult the official Canadian government website or contact the nearest Canadian embassy or consulate. They can provide guidance based on your specific circumstances and study permit conditions.

Was this article helpful?