Passport & Consular Services

Do I Need to Have Proof of Purchased Health Insurance Policy?

Yes, as an M-1 visa holder, you are generally required to have proof of purchased health insurance coverage while studying in the United States. It is a mandatory requirement to maintain and demonstrate sufficient health insurance coverage throughout the duration of your M-1 visa program.

The specific health insurance requirements may vary depending on your educational institution and program. However, generally, the insurance policy must meet certain criteria, such as:

Minimum Coverage: The insurance policy must provide minimum coverage for sickness or accidents. It should cover medical care, hospitalization, emergency services, and repatriation of remains.

Duration of Coverage: The insurance policy should provide coverage for the entire duration of your M-1 visa program.

Repatriation of Remains: The policy should include provisions for the repatriation of remains in the event of death.

Your Designated School Official (DSO) or the educational institution will provide guidance on the specific health insurance requirements and may have recommendations for insurance providers that meet the necessary criteria.

It’s essential to carefully review the requirements and obtain health insurance coverage that complies with the guidelines set by your educational institution and the U.S. government. Failure to maintain adequate health insurance coverage may result in non-compliance with visa regulations and could potentially impact your legal status in the United States.

Was this article helpful?