Passport & Consular Services

Do I Need an Airport Transit Schengen Visa?

To determine whether you need an Airport Transit Schengen Visa (ATV) or not, you need to consider the following factors:

Citizenship: Check if your country of citizenship is exempt from the ATV requirement. Citizens of certain countries do not need an ATV to transit through the international transit areas of Schengen airports. The list of exempt countries may vary, so it’s important to consult the embassy or consulate of the country you plan to transit through for the most up-to-date information.

Transit Route: Consider your transit route. If your itinerary includes a layover or connecting flight at a Schengen airport and you need to pass through the international transit zone without entering the Schengen Area, you may require an ATV.

Duration of Stay: ATV is typically applicable for short-term transits. If your layover exceeds a certain duration (varies by country), you may be subject to entry requirements and may require a regular Schengen visa instead of an ATV.

Nationality and Destination: Keep in mind that ATV requirements may vary based on your nationality and your destination outside the Schengen Area. Some countries have specific agreements or exemptions that might affect ATV requirements.

To get accurate and up-to-date information regarding your specific situation, it is advisable to contact the embassy or consulate of the country where you plan to transit through and inquire about their ATV requirements. They will be able to provide the most accurate guidance based on your nationality, itinerary, and transit circumstances.

Was this article helpful?