Passport & Consular Services

Can My Family Members Come With Me on a Visa 500?

Yes, family members can come with you to Australia on a Student Visa (Subclass 500) under certain conditions. Here are the key points to consider:

Dependent family members: You can include certain family members as dependents on your student visa application. Eligible family members include your spouse or de facto partner, and your dependent children.

Proof of relationship: You will need to provide evidence of your relationship with your family members, such as marriage certificates, birth certificates, or evidence of de facto relationships.

Financial requirements: You need to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to cover the living costs of yourself and your family members during your stay in Australia. The Australian government provides specific financial guidelines regarding the amount of funds required.

Health insurance: Your family members must have adequate health insurance coverage for the duration of their stay in Australia. This requirement helps ensure they have access to necessary healthcare services.

Study limitations for family members: While you are studying, your dependent family members can generally work in Australia for up to 40 hours per fortnight. However, they cannot work until you, as the primary student visa holder, have commenced your studies.

Application process: You can include your family members in your student visa application or add them later as subsequent entrants. The application process and requirements may vary, so it is advisable to consult with the Department of Home Affairs or a registered migration agent for detailed information.

It’s important to note that additional fees and documentation may be required for each dependent family member included in your visa application. It is recommended to seek professional advice and thoroughly review the official Australian government guidelines to ensure compliance with all requirements.

Was this article helpful?