Passport & Consular Services

Can my Family Members Accompany me to Canada?

Yes, in most cases, your family members can accompany you to Canada while you study, provided you meet certain requirements. Here are the two main options available for your family members:

Study permit for accompanying family members: If you are enrolled in a full-time program of study in Canada for a duration of six months or longer, your immediate family members (spouse or common-law partner, as well as dependent children) may be eligible to apply for a study permit. This would allow them to accompany you and potentially work or study in Canada. They would need to apply for their own study permits and meet the necessary requirements.

Visitor visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA): If your family members do not intend to work or study in Canada, they may be able to visit as visitors. Depending on their nationality, they may require a visitor visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada. The visitor visa or eTA allows them to stay in Canada for a temporary period as visitors.

It’s important to note that family members who accompany you to Canada may have their own specific requirements and conditions to meet, such as providing proof of financial support, medical exams, or language proficiency. They must also meet general eligibility criteria, including having a valid passport, satisfying the immigration officer of their intention to leave Canada after their authorized stay, and meeting admissibility requirements (e.g., criminal background checks).

It’s advisable to consult the official Canadian government website or contact the nearest Canadian embassy or consulate for the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding the specific requirements and application processes for family members accompanying you to Canada. They can provide guidance based on your specific circumstances and help ensure a smooth process for your family’s immigration or visit to Canada.

Was this article helpful?