Passport & Consular Services

Can I work while on a Student Visa?

Yes, it is possible to work in Canada while holding a student visa, also known as a study permit. However, there are certain conditions and limitations to keep in mind:

On-campus work: As an international student with a valid study permit, you are generally allowed to work on-campus at the institution where you are enrolled without the need for an additional work permit. This can include jobs within the university or college campus, such as working at the library, cafeteria, or administrative offices.

Off-campus work: After six months of full-time study, you may be eligible to work off-campus while studying. To do so, you would need to apply for a work permit called the “Off-Campus Work Permit.” This permit allows you to work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions and full-time during scheduled breaks, such as winter and summer holidays. You must be enrolled in a full-time program at a designated learning institution (DLI) and maintain a valid study permit.

Co-op or internship programs: Some study programs may include mandatory or optional co-op or internship components. In such cases, you may be eligible to work off-campus without a separate work permit if the work is an integral part of your program of study. However, you would still need to obtain the necessary authorization from your educational institution.

Post-graduation work permit: Upon completing your program of study, you may be eligible for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP). The PGWP allows you to work in Canada for a period of time equal to the length of your study program, up to a maximum of three years. This permit provides you with an opportunity to gain Canadian work experience after graduation.

It’s important to note that while working in Canada as a student, you must ensure that your work does not interfere with your studies and that you continue to meet the conditions of your study permit. Additionally, some study programs may have specific requirements or restrictions on working while studying, so it’s essential to consult with the international student services office at your institution for guidance and information specific to your program.

For the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding work opportunities and permits for international students in Canada, consult the official Canadian government website or contact the nearest Canadian embassy or consulate. They can provide guidance based on your specific circumstances and study permit conditions.

Was this article helpful?