Passport & Consular Services

Can I Work in Germany With a German Study Visa?

Yes, it is possible to work in Germany with a German study visa, but there are certain restrictions and conditions you need to be aware of:

Limitations on working hours: As a student with a German study visa, you are allowed to work part-time for up to 120 full days or 240 half days in a year. This regulation applies to most students, regardless of their country of origin.

Prior authorization: Before taking up employment, you must obtain prior authorization from the Federal Employment Agency (Bundesagentur f?r Arbeit) and adhere to the restrictions mentioned above. The authorization is usually granted if the employment does not interfere with your studies and if there is no German or EU citizen available to fill the position.

Internships and student jobs: There are certain types of employment that are considered “student jobs” and have more flexibility. These include working as a student assistant (Hiwi), research assistant, or in similar roles at your university. Additionally, internships that are an integral part of your studies may also be allowed without the need for separate authorization.

Language requirements: Depending on the job and employer, German language proficiency may be required. While some positions may be available in English or other languages, having a good command of German can significantly expand your employment opportunities.

Health insurance and taxes: If you work in Germany, you must have health insurance coverage. Additionally, you are responsible for paying taxes on your income. The tax regulations may vary depending on the duration and nature of your employment, so it’s important to consult with the relevant authorities or seek professional advice.

Impact on studies: Remember that your primary purpose in Germany is to study, so it’s essential to ensure that your employment does not negatively affect your academic progress. Be mindful of balancing your work commitments with your coursework and allocate sufficient time for studying and attending classes.

It’s important to note that these regulations can vary, and it’s advisable to consult the local Foreigners’ Registration Office (Ausl?nderbeh?rde) or the international office at your university for detailed information regarding employment regulations specific to your situation. They can provide up-to-date guidance and assistance related to working in Germany as an international student.

Was this article helpful?