Passport & Consular Services

Can I Work After I Complete my Studies?

Yes, you may be eligible to work in Canada after completing your studies through the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) program. The PGWP allows international students who have graduated from a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada to work in Canada for a period of time.

Here are some key points regarding the Post-Graduation Work Permit program:

Eligibility criteria: To be eligible for a PGWP, you must have completed a full-time program of study at a designated learning institution in Canada that is at least eight months in duration. The program must lead to a degree, diploma, or certificate. Additionally, you must have maintained full-time student status throughout your program and have graduated from an eligible program.

Validity of the permit: The duration of the PGWP depends on the length of the study program completed. Typically, the PGWP can be issued for a period ranging from eight months up to a maximum of three years. The length of the permit will depend on the duration of the program completed.

Work opportunities: With a valid PGWP, you can work for any employer in Canada and in any occupation. You are not limited to working in a specific field related to your study program. The PGWP is an open work permit that allows you to gain valuable work experience in Canada.

Applying for a PGWP: To apply for a PGWP, you must submit an application to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) within 180 days (approximately six months) from the date of completing your program and obtaining the final transcript or graduation letter from your institution. It’s important to apply for the PGWP before your study permit expires.

Work permit processing time: The processing time for a PGWP application can vary. It’s advisable to submit your application as soon as possible after completing your studies to ensure timely processing.

Permanent residency opportunities: The PGWP can also provide an opportunity to gain Canadian work experience, which may be valuable for future applications for permanent residency in Canada through programs such as the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) or Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs).

It’s important to note that the PGWP program and its requirements may be subject to change, so it’s recommended to consult the official Canadian government website or contact the nearest Canadian embassy or consulate for the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding the Post-Graduation Work Permit program and its eligibility criteria.

Was this article helpful?