Passport & Consular Services

Can I Travel Abroad With a 500 Student Visa?

Yes, you can generally travel abroad while holding a Student Visa (Subclass 500) in Australia. However, there are a few important things to keep in mind:

Valid visa: Ensure that your student visa is valid and has not expired before planning your travel. Check the visa grant notice for the expiry date and any travel restrictions specified on your visa.

Re-entry to Australia: If you plan to return to Australia to continue your studies, ensure that your visa will still be valid upon your intended re-entry. If your visa is due to expire while you are abroad, you may need to apply for a new student visa before returning.

Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement: When you leave and re-enter Australia, you will be subject to the Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement, which means you need to provide evidence of your genuine intention to stay in Australia temporarily to study.

Passport and other travel documents: Ensure that your passport is valid for travel and has sufficient validity for the duration of your intended trip. Check the visa requirements of the country you plan to visit to see if you need any additional travel documents or visas.

Academic obligations: Make sure that your travel plans do not conflict with your academic commitments, such as exams, assignments, or important coursework. Plan your travel during breaks or consult with your education provider regarding any necessary arrangements.

It’s important to note that travel restrictions and requirements can change, especially in response to global events or pandemics. Therefore, it is advisable to check with the Department of Home Affairs, your education provider, or the relevant Australian government websites for the most up-to-date and accurate information before making any travel plans.

Was this article helpful?