Passport & Consular Services

Can I Stay in Australia After My Student Visa Expires?

If your student visa in Australia has expired and you wish to continue staying in the country, you generally need to take appropriate steps to maintain lawful status. Here are a few options you may consider:

Apply for a New Visa: Depending on your circumstances and eligibility, you may explore other visa options that allow you to stay in Australia. For example, you could consider applying for a Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) if you have completed a qualification in Australia. Other visa options may be available based on your skills, occupation, or relationship status.

Apply for a Visitor Visa: If you only intend to stay in Australia temporarily, you could apply for a visitor visa. Visitor visas allow for short-term stays and typically have limitations on work rights. It’s important to note that a visitor visa may not be suitable if you wish to continue studying or working in Australia.

Depart Australia: If you do not have a valid visa and are unable to secure another visa option, you are generally expected to depart Australia before your authorized stay period ends. Overstaying your visa can have serious consequences and may affect future visa applications or re-entry into Australia.

It’s crucial to be aware of your visa conditions and the expiration date of your student visa. It is recommended to plan ahead and explore visa options well before your student visa expires to avoid any gaps in lawful status.

It’s important to consult the official website of the Department of Home Affairs or seek advice from a registered migration agent to understand the specific requirements and options available to you based on your individual circumstances. They will provide accurate and up-to-date information tailored to your situation.

Was this article helpful?