Passport & Consular Services

Can I Get Permanent Residency With a Student Visa in Australia?

Yes, it is possible to obtain permanent residency in Australia with a student visa. The Australian government offers various pathways for international students to transition from studying to becoming permanent residents. Some of these pathways include:

Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485): This visa allows international students who have completed at least two years of study in Australia to stay and work temporarily after their studies. Depending on the type of qualification completed, graduates can apply for either the Graduate Work stream or the Post-Study Work stream.

Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189): This is a points-based visa that allows skilled individuals who meet the occupation and points requirements to apply for permanent residency independently. It does not require employer sponsorship or a state/territory nomination.

Skilled Nominated Visa (Subclass 190): This visa is similar to the Subclass 189 visa but requires a nomination by a state or territory government. It is suitable for individuals who have an occupation in demand in a particular state or territory.

Regional Skilled Visa (Subclass 491 and 494): These visas are for skilled workers who are willing to live and work in designated regional areas of Australia. They require nomination by a state or territory government or an eligible family member residing in a designated area.

It’s important to note that each visa pathway has its own specific eligibility criteria, including English language proficiency, skills assessment, work experience, and health and character requirements. It is advisable to consult with a registered migration agent or visit the official Australian government immigration website for the most up-to-date and accurate information regarding your specific circumstances.

Was this article helpful?