Passport & Consular Services

Can I Get a Permanent Residency with a Work Visa?

Whether or not you can obtain permanent residency (also known as a “green card,” “indefinite leave to remain,” or “permanent residency”) with a work visa depends on the immigration policies of the country you are inquiring about. Generally, work visas are temporary and do not automatically lead to permanent residency. However, in many countries, there are pathways available for work visa holders to transition to permanent residency status if they meet certain criteria. Here are a few examples:

United States: In the United States, some work visa categories, such as the Employment-Based Green Card categories (EB-1, EB-2, EB-3), provide a potential pathway to permanent residency. These categories typically require an employer sponsorship and meeting specific criteria, such as demonstrating extraordinary ability, having a job offer in a shortage occupation, or meeting certain education and work experience requirements.

Canada: In Canada, certain work permit holders may be eligible to apply for permanent residency through programs like the Canadian Experience Class (CEC), Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), or Provincial Nominee Program (PNP). These programs consider factors such as work experience in Canada, language proficiency, education, and other criteria.

Australia: Australia offers several pathways for work visa holders to apply for permanent residency, such as the Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) Visa, Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189), Skilled Nominated Visa (subclass 190), and Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) Visa.

It’s important to note that the specific eligibility requirements, criteria, and processes for transitioning from a work visa to permanent residency can vary significantly between countries and visa programs. It’s advisable to refer to the official immigration website of the country you are interested in or consult with a qualified immigration professional to understand the pathways and requirements for obtaining permanent residency based on your specific work visa.

Was this article helpful?