Passport & Consular Services

Can I change the name in my passport?

Yes, it is possible to change the name in your passport under certain circumstances. The process for changing the name in a passport varies depending on the country and its specific regulations and procedures. Here are a few common scenarios where a name change in a passport may be allowed:

Marriage: Many individuals choose to change their last name after getting married. In such cases, you can typically apply for a passport name change by submitting a marriage certificate or other required documentation that verifies your new name. The specific requirements and process may vary, so it’s advisable to consult the passport agency or embassy of your country for accurate information and instructions.

Divorce or Legal Separation: If you have changed your name due to divorce or legal separation, you may be able to update your passport to reflect your new name. This usually requires providing legal documentation such as a divorce decree or court order.

Legal Name Change: If you have legally changed your name for reasons other than marriage or divorce, such as through a court order, you can typically apply for a passport name change by submitting the relevant legal documentation that supports the name change.

It’s important to note that changing the name in your passport generally involves a formal application process, submitting the required documents, and paying any applicable fees. The specific requirements and procedures may differ between countries, so it’s essential to consult the official website of your country’s passport agency or embassy for the most accurate and up-to-date information.

Additionally, after changing your name in your passport, it’s important to update your name on other important documents and identification, such as your driver’s license, social security card, and bank accounts, to ensure consistency and avoid any potential issues.

Remember to start the name change process well in advance of any planned travel, as it may take time to complete the necessary procedures and obtain a new passport reflecting your updated name.

Was this article helpful?