Passport & Consular Services

Can I Change Schools With a Canada Student Visa?

Yes, it is possible to change schools while holding a Canada student visa (study permit). However, there are certain steps and considerations to keep in mind:

Verify eligibility: Before changing schools, ensure that you meet the eligibility criteria for studying at the new institution. This includes obtaining an acceptance letter from the new Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada and meeting any specific requirements set by the institution.

Inform the current institution: Notify your current institution about your decision to transfer to a new school. They may have specific procedures and requirements for transferring out, such as providing a letter of release or completing a transfer request form.

Apply to the new institution: Apply to the new institution and follow their application process. Once you receive an acceptance letter from the new DLI, you can proceed with the next steps.

Update your study permit: To update your study permit, you may need to apply for a change of conditions or extend your study permit if it will expire before completing your studies at the new institution. Consult the official Canadian government website or contact the nearest Canadian embassy or consulate to determine the specific process for updating your study permit.

Maintain status: It’s important to maintain your status as a full-time student while transitioning between schools. Ensure that you comply with the conditions of your study permit, including attending classes and fulfilling the academic requirements of your program.

Transferring credits: If you have completed coursework at your current institution, inquire with the new institution about the possibility of transferring credits. They will evaluate your previous academic achievements and determine if any credits can be transferred to your new program.

It’s important to note that each case may have unique circumstances, and it’s advisable to consult with the international student services office at your current and prospective institutions for guidance on the specific procedures and requirements for changing schools. They can provide assistance and ensure a smooth transition between institutions while maintaining compliance with your study permit conditions.

Was this article helpful?