Passport & Consular Services

Can F1 visa holders Travel Outside of the US?

Yes, F1 visa holders are generally allowed to travel outside of the United States while maintaining their student status. However, there are a few important factors to consider:

Valid Passport: F1 visa holders should ensure that their passport is valid for at least six months into the future. It’s recommended to check the passport expiration date and renew it if necessary before making any travel plans.

Valid F1 Visa: F1 visa holders should have a valid F1 visa stamp in their passport to reenter the United States. If the F1 visa has expired, or if you have changed educational institutions or extended your program, you may need to apply for a new visa before returning to the U.S. It’s important to check the visa requirements of the country you plan to visit as well.

Valid I-20: F1 students should have a valid Form I-20, issued by their educational institution, with a valid travel signature from a designated school official (DSO). The travel signature on the I-20 is generally valid for one year, but it’s recommended to check with your DSO to ensure your travel signature is up to date before leaving the U.S.

Maintaining Student Status: F1 students should ensure they maintain their student status while traveling outside the U.S. This includes being enrolled in a full-time academic program, making satisfactory progress, and complying with any other regulations set by their educational institution.

Reentry to the U.S.: F1 visa holders should be prepared to present their valid passport, F1 visa, and I-20 with a valid travel signature when returning to the United States. They may also need to present additional supporting documents, such as proof of financial support or enrollment verification.

It’s always a good idea to consult with your designated school official (DSO) or international student office for specific guidance related to travel outside of the United States. They can provide up-to-date information and any specific requirements or recommendations for international students at your educational institution.

Was this article helpful?