Am I Allowed to Change My Study Course?

Yes, it is possible to change your study course while holding a student visa in Australia. However, there are certain conditions and procedures that need to be followed:

Notification to your education provider: You must inform your current education provider about your intention to change your study course. They will provide guidance on the process and any requirements specific to their institution.

Enrollment in a registered course: You must ensure that the new course you intend to enroll in is registered with the Australian government and is offered by an institution that is authorized to enroll international students.

Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE): Once you have been accepted into the new course, you will receive a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from your new education provider. This document is crucial for visa-related matters.

Visa implications: Depending on the nature of the course change and the duration of your current visa, you may need to apply for a new student visa. In some cases, you may be able to continue your studies on your current visa. It is essential to consult with the Department of Home Affairs or a registered migration agent to understand the specific visa requirements and implications of changing your course.

It is important to note that changing your course may have consequences such as changes to the duration of your visa, tuition fees, and academic progression. It is advisable to carefully consider your decision and seek guidance from your education provider and the relevant authorities before proceeding with a course change.

Was this article helpful?